I’m Chip Huyen, a writer and computer scientist. I grew up chasing grasshoppers in a small rice-farming village in Vietnam.
I graduated from Stanford University, where I taught CS 329S: Machine Learning Systems Design. My O’Reilly book Designing Machine Learning Systems is an Amazon #1 bestseller in Artificial Intelligence (very proud)!
In my free time, I travel and write. After high school, I went to Brunei for a 3-day vacation which turned into a 3-year trip through Asia, Africa, and South America. During my trip, I worked as a Bollywood extra, a casino hostess, and a street performer.
I spend a lot of time learning about machine learning production, and I maintain a Discord server to learn together with people who share similar interests. As of May 2023, it’s the largest online MLOps community with over 15,000 members. Join us if you want to learn too!
Most of my technical work is on GitHub. Some of my other projects:
- Books: I’ve published four best-selling Vietnamese books
- VietAI: a nonprofit working to educate future AI talent about AI for social good
- Free Hugs Vietnam: a nonprofit that provides soft skills for Vietnamese youths
- VnExpress’ Góc Nhìn: I occasionally contribute opinions on tech and culture
- StanfordIRL: chronicle of the amazing things people do after Stanford
- Trying to make these 11 cute but kinda rude alpacas love me
- I helped launch Cốc Cốc - Vietnam’s second most popular web browser with 20+ million monthly active users.
I’m best reached via email. I’m always open to interesting conversations and collaboration.